Vermilion entered Australia in 2005 by acquiring a 60% operated interest in the Wandoo field, located approximately 80 km off the northwest shelf of Australia. In 2007, we acquired the remaining 40% interest. Production is from two operated off-shore platforms, one of which (Wandoo B) is permanently manned.
Since acquiring the Wandoo asset, Vermilion has conducted a number of drilling campaigns with the long-term goal of maintaining production levels of between 6,000 and 8,000 bbls/d. Many of the wells drilled at Wandoo are extreme long-reach lateral wells. While having true vertical depths of only 600 metres, two recently sidetrack wells have measured depths of nearly 3,000 metres and 3,800 metres, respectively.
Vermilion’s Australian headquarters are located in Perth.